photo from foreverconscious
Tonight we have our last New Moon of the Year ~ the New Moon in Sagittarius.
Sagittarius is a masculine, fire sign and is the archetype for wisdom, truth and understanding ~ energy for the journey. He is ruled by Jupiter and tules the liver, hips, thighs, pelvis and femur. When the Moon is in Sagittarius it is a time to manifest truth. Fire signs inspire and ignite. You may experience the ability to speak with honesty or you may feel philosophical or the spirit of inspiration. It is a time to turn your healing energies inward.
During the Dark (Seed) Moon your intuition is active, your mind turns inward and you feel contemplative. It is a time when your metabolism slows down and although you sleep well you feel inertia upon awakening. Your dreams may be symbolic and bring you back to your childhood. It is the time of the Northeast energy, the direction of mountain, stillness, a time to retreat so that you can gain perspective to create a firm foundation for new growth.
It is under the dark moon when your needs are felt deeply and have the ability to call up the energy under the waxing moon cycle to meet your needs. Remember feeling invokes healing.
Sagittarius is half man and half horse. The horse is the animal spirit for Power. It is why we have the word horsepower for engines! The medicine of Horse as described in the Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams and Dave Carter is, "True power is wisdom found in remembering your total journey. "Wisdom comes from remembering pathways you have walked in another person's moccasins. Compassion, caring, teaching, loving and sharing your gifts, talents and abilities are the gateways to power."
Along with this Dark Moon we also have our shortest days of light for the year. So tonight I encourage you to slip into the darkness and find the comfort she offers, the nurturing womblike space that is full of quiet and stillness. Here is a space to fall into your remembering, to review your year and all the places you gained wisdom and shared your gifts and talents. Use this wisdom to be the archer of your dreams, aim your bow of compassion and love for yourself and others and your gifts and talents through the gateways to power for 2019.
Use the end of this Dark Moon cycle to see what is standing in your way. She is here for you until tonight at 11:20 pm PST or early tomorrow morning, 2:20 am EST. As the moon wanes, awareness of what you no longer need waxes. It opens your eyes to what is standing in your way, however, you need to slow down to receive her messages and insights. A quote I heard once was, "the Dark Moon is like one of those mountain ramps for rescuing runaway trucks that have lost their brakes. Veer onto the Dark Moon ramp and let your careening momentum run itself out." Connect with the Northeast mountain stillness and new visions will come. Use the end of the Moon's cycle to prepare for your beginning and commit to doing this for the entire year of 2019 and you may just find yourself closer to the life you've always dreamed about.
Here are a few ways to capture her energies:
- Find a time to slow down today, or if you can back into your bed or lay on the couch to mourn whatever habit or attachment you are ready to release. Let the feelings surface and think about how you love this habit. Why you dislike this habit. Imagine life without it. Feel the fear. Imagine yourself on the other side of the fear, happy, strong and free. Move through all of your feelings, without stopping them or getting stuck. Once you have explored them all, finish with a clearing ritual ~ write what came up that you want to release and then burn it. Empty an old drawer or clean a corner of your closet and throw or give away wha you no longer need. The energy in this area will be 'sparkling'. Breathe it in as an encouragement for the new you.
- Climb into a hot bath tonight to access the ending energies of the Dark Moon. Water is wonderful for supporting you in releasing emotions and toxins. Add salts (sea, celtic, epsom) blended with essential oils and/or plant powders to create soothing waters to immerse yourself into. Add flower petals to bring in beauty, and place a candle at the foot of the bath to aid you in clearing your mind and dropping into your remembering and bringing focus to your intentions.
As we move into the energy of the New Crescent (Sprout) Moon we can feel our hearts and minds lift. You may feel this lifting when you awaken in the morning if you are not able to stay up to work with her this evening. When you are under these energies, you can find yourself writing more easily, coming up with sudden insights or ideas. You have energy spurts and may need less sleep, although your sleep may be restless! You may find yourself having wish dreams <3. This is the direction of Northwest, the direction of heaven. Here is creativity in its pure form, a force of change that confronts us with the truth and awareness of what to do, how to be and the power to act. Use it. Feel it. Ride it.
We also have the energy of a Cazimi Moon, or dropping moon tonight. For those who can stay up, setting intentions and making wishes 30 minutes before or after the New Moon becomes exact (11:20 pm PST or 2:20 am EST), gives them a lovely boost.
Here are a few rituals to use for your New Moon Wishes:
- Dream. Dream big. Write down all the dreams you have for 2019 and don't worry if some of them are lofty and full. It is a way to connect to and fill your heart with desire and love. It can even help you to better understand what you hold inside of you that you love truly love or yearn to do. Put your note into a small box or vessel or on your altar and open and read at it again at the first new moon of 2019, New Moon in Capricorn on December 22.
- Gather magazines or pictures to create a vision board. Get a poster board or paper and choose one picture that you want to be the center of your board. Paste it on and then over the next two weeks as the Moon is Waxing, add pictures, words or drawings to the board when you have time. Complete the board using the energy of the Winter Solstice and finish it before the Moon becomes Full on December 22nd.
- If you have your milk weed and have been placing your love and thoughts of movement your want to create in your life into her seeds, set them free and then write the movement you shared on a paper or in your daily note book to bring them into form and move them forward!
- Create elder berry syrup. The celtic tree for November 25- December 23rd is the Elder. She is a highly sacred tree and her spirit is known as the Elder Mother, The Queen of Herbs, TheTree of Faeries. She is the 13th Moon Calendar tree and has berries that many of us know well, the elderberries! She also produces a five petal flower, and as we discussed last month, in nature five symbolizes change and movement. So I suggest making of buying elderberry syrup to take daily over the next two weeks to engage in her energy of spirit and magic. It is a immune booster and is a wonderful colds and flu remedy. Here is a link to a recipe by my favorite herbalist, Rosemary Gladstar.
- For your altar use deep purples, or turquoise and a few gemstones are turquoise or lapis lazuli.
The Moon is 'yin' (feminine), and so placing our wishes in line with the lunar cycle can hold great potential for bringing new things to light in our life. Under this beautiful New Moon in Sagittarius, Be the Archer of Your Dreams.
Deep, Beautiful, New Moon Wishes,
p.s. my Holiday Gift Ideas are coming tomorrow <3